SFA4ster

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'68 bronco, '22 bronco
Country flag
Looks pretty cool. Still not turned on that it's EV tho...

clark griswold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Country flag
Scout is probably my all time favorite vehicle. I almost ordered a Bronco but I’m holding off until I see what this looks like. If it looks like an old scout and priced reasonable I may order one. I wanted at least a hybrid Bronco. Don’t need hardcore off-roading. Just basic 4x4 decent range and most of look cool and be able to take top off. I’m somewhat skeptical the Germans will nail the styling but we’ll see.

SCOut House

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac XT5, Ford Mustang Mach-E GT, VW Jetta
Country flag
Rivian first attracted me to BEVs with the promise of a 400+ mile SUV, which they have yet to deliver. As I was pining for a R1S with the 400+ mile max pack, I noticed Ford moving forward quickly with the Mach-E. I love my MME GT, but range is still a huge issue for me. Charger congestion is going to get very, very bad. So we need 400+ mile range BEVs. Well, that is what I need.

What I want is what Rivian promised but has yet to deliver. Will Scout do that? Off road capability in a SUV that can go 400+ miles on a charge? If they can, I will buy one. If it is reasonably priced - meaning less than $100k. (I can't believe I am saying $100k is reasonable.)

I am going to keep my MME as my only BEV until we get a vehicles that can really go 400 miles, or more, on the HIGHWAY. For an SUV, I think that means a 200 kWh battery pack. Will the Scout be that SUV? Or will the marketers think we can all live with the industry standard (that seems to be developing) around 300 miles of range? If that is their plan, sorry, I won't be on the list.

If you have ever had to wait for a charge at a DCFC station, you will understand why this is so important. You can promise a 20 minute charge, which I think is great. But if you have to wait in line to get to a charger, the 20 minute charge is irrelevant. Ever get impatient waiting for a gas pump? That is a joke compared to what we have in store.

velocity

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
H2, '22 Bronco, 07Dodge Ram 3500
Country flag
Well everybody, we all have till 2026 to figure out, speculate and wish for what we want and as things are going, we should be getting them by '28! just take a look back at some of the early discussions on Bronco6G! LMAO!

Fins160

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 International Scout
Country flag

SCOut House

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac XT5, Ford Mustang Mach-E GT, VW Jetta
Country flag
Great look. I have a MachE on order (delivery date keeps pushing), and am hoping this can replace my Odyssey in a few years. There are some battery tech breakthroughs coming, a big one from Penn State just recently, that may make it in time for the Scout: https://www.psu.edu/news/research/s...es-way-mass-adoption-affordable-electric-car/
The researcher is suggesting we can actually use BEVs with a 50 kWh battery. That is ridiculous. That means a SUV with a winter range of less than 100 miles. There is no way there will be mass adoption of BEVs if they all have 50 kWh batteries. Does he think people will live with 80 mile range gas powered cars, when we can refill in 5 minutes? What world does he live in?

Reducing the charge speed to 10 minutes is good, but at what rate? 350 kWh? Does he know how hard it is to build charging stations filled with 350 kWh pumps?

He is working on the wrong problem. Charging speed is not the problem. Range is the problem, and lack of destination chargers. He should be working on how to make a 200 kWh battery cheaper and lighter, so it can be put in any sized vehicle. And hotels should be adding 240 Volt plugs and L2 EVSEs so that every guest can plug in. That is the solution, not faster DCFC speed.

By the way, you are going to love your MME. I love mine and it is the best car I have owned yet.

MnLakeBum

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Bronco, ‘18 Range Rove Diesel, ‘15 Tesla
Country flag
Looking forward to seeing what the Scout actually looks like and I’m hoping they do as well mixing retro with “new” as Ford did with the Bronco. I’m not really concerned with the range as I’m happy with the 200 mile real-world range that I get from my 2015 Tesla. I’m not giving up owning at least one ICE vehicle anytime soon.

Fins160

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 International Scout
Country flag
The researcher is suggesting we can actually use BEVs with a 50 kWh battery. That is ridiculous. That means a SUV with a winter range of less than 100 miles. There is no way there will be mass adoption of BEVs if they all have 50 kWh batteries. Does he think people will live with 80 mile range gas powered cars, when we can refill in 5 minutes? What world does he live in?

Reducing the charge speed to 10 minutes is good, but at what rate? 350 kWh? Does he know how hard it is to build charging stations filled with 350 kWh pumps?

He is working on the wrong problem. Charging speed is not the problem. Range is the problem, and lack of destination chargers. He should be working on how to make a 200 kWh battery cheaper and lighter, so it can be put in any sized vehicle. And hotels should be adding 240 Volt plugs and L2 EVSEs so that every guest can plug in. That is the solution, not faster DCFC speed.

By the way, you are going to love your MME. I love mine and it is the best car I have owned yet.
Great to hear about the MME, it can't get here soon enough. Supposedly it is finally on a train from Kansas.

Heck, my 1964 Scout only has a range of 240 miles or so, since the old 11gal dual tanks can only be filled to about 8 gallons each without spilling on turns, and I get probably 15mpg when the sun is shining and the wind at my back. And it definitely takes me more than 10min to fill since I have to throttle the gas lever to prevent overflow AND flip the car around to do the other tank 🙃

Looking forward to 2026, we should see improvements in both capacity and charging speed. We will continue to see batteries with a range of capacities from 50kWh to 150+kWh moving forward, depending on the application. The researcher acknowledges there is a lot of work going on for "Next-generation batteries with high specific capacity anodes [that] are expected to reach more than 350 Wh kg−1", which enables a 160kWh battery in the form factor of an existing 120kWh. But I expect that if there's a a 2dr Scout configuration similar to a 2dr Wrangler or Bronco, it could easily have a 50-60kWh battery option with 200-250mi range, especially if that battery is lighter than the current technology and can charge in <10min.

The ability to use technology like ATM to control the charging temperature not only eliminates the battery system as the charging limiter, enabling sub-10min charges with sufficient power supply, but also increasing battery cycle life to over 500k miles even with DCFC charging only. It's not the wrong thing to focus on, it's just only part of the solution.

Gunlovebirds1024

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 IH Scout 800A 304 V8
Country flag
Their website is a little underwhelming. It’s new I guess and they are still a ways from an actual vehicle.

51Cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bulldozer
Country flag
Their website is a little underwhelming. It’s new I guess and they are still a ways from an actual vehicle.
Underwhelming is right.... they are trying to hire major leads at executive levels... that is not an indication of seeing anything real for a LOOONG... Time.